
On the eve of Liverpool’s Premier League trip to St James’ Park, the transfer saga involving Alexander Isak has reached a critical moment. The Swedish striker remains Newcastle’s top star, but a rift has widened between him and the club. Liverpool could be ready to exploit it.
Newcastle rejected an initial offer close to $140 million including add-ons and maintained that Isak was not for sale. Frustration grew when Isak publicly stated that promises had been broken and then stopped training entirely. His absence only intensified speculation that a move might finally happen.

Now Fabrizio Romano has delivered a turning point update. He says that Newcastle hope Isak will return to training after the game, while Liverpool remain determined to pursue him. They plan to launch another push, although the outcome hinges on Newcastle’s decision. For a deal to go through, Newcastle must first bring in two new strikers, one to fill Isak’s role, and receive an offer in the $165 to $190 million range.
It’s going to be an important moment because it’s going to close this story between Newcastle and Liverpool and then from Tuesday we will understand more,” said Romano on his YouTube Channel.
“Newcastle hope internally that this week, after the game, Alexander Isak can return to training, they want to convince Isak to be back after the game one Monday.
Liverpool remain in the same position, they want Isak, they will attack for Isak but it depends on Newcastle, this story completely depends on Newcastle.
“Isak wants to go to Liverpool. Isak wants to play for Liverpool. Liverpool want to go for Isak. Liverpool are prepared to pay. But Newcastle are the ones are decide and they will try their best to keep him.”
Liverpool manager Arne Slot stayed composed when discussing the situation. He expressed respect for Eddie Howe and Newcastle’s organization while pointing out that his team has options beyond Isak. He highlighted Florian Wirtz, Jeremie Frimpong, and Rio Ngumoha as capable attacking alternatives should the deal collapse.
Howe, for his part, drew a firm line. He said Isak would only be allowed to leave if suitable replacements were in place, and he insisted the club would not risk weakening itself. His stance has reassured many Newcastle fans, even as uncertainty persists.
For both sets of supporters, the match in front of them carries more weight than the three points at stake. If Isak returns to training or features, the saga may drag into the final stretch of the window. If he remains absent, Liverpool’s persistence may finally pay off.